What would you do if an employee came to you with a sexual harassment claim? What if someone reported an employee stealing? What's your first course of action? How can you prevent the complaint from escalating into a lawsuit?
Careful. Your choice of words, your body language - even the timing of your witness interview - could leave your organization open to litigation.
Learn how to avoid legal blunders when investigating a complaint and how to bring an investigation to a close ó- all while remaining legally compliant - by participating in the informative HR Hero webinar "Workplace Investigations from Complaint to Closure: A Step-by-Step Guide for HR."
- The very first thing you should do when an employee comes to you with a complaint or allegation
- How to assess the right amount of investigation required by a given situation
- What you should and shouldn't do in the interim (before the investigation is concluded)
- Tips for choosing an outside investigator - who you should work with, and who you should stay away from
- Why it's important to clearly define your areas of investigation before the investigation begins
- The most common mistakes made when taking an initial complaint - and how to avoid them
- Where to start when developing an internal investigations strategy
- When and where witness interviews should be conducted
- Dos and don'ts for drafting an iron-clad investigative report
- Legal "red flags" you should avoid during the post-investigatory phase
- Interviewing tips to help you get to the truth
- What you're obligated to do, and not do, regarding confidentiality
- Strategies for resolving those "he said, she said" situations
- Systems for efficiently assimilating information, coming to a conclusion, and finishing the investigation
- What to do after the investigation is over - follow up and follow through
- How to create solid documentation that will stand up in court - and tips for staying out of court in the first place
In just 90 minutes, how to effectively conduct a workplace investigation from complaint to closure. Register now for this informative event for HR professionals.
About Your Presenters:
Attorney Buena Vista Lyons, a partner in the Dallas office of FordHarrison LLP, is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She focuses her practice on the defense of employers in labor and employment related matters. She has experience working with clients in a broad range of industries, including those in the cosmetics, airline, hospitality/food services, and healthcare industries.
Her litigation experience includes defending employers in state and federal court actions involving race, sex, age, disability, and national origin discrimination claims; sexual harassment, whistleblower/retaliation and wrongful discharge claims; and state law employment-related tort claims and non-disclosure, non-competition, and non-solicitation claims.
Attorney Mark Stamelos is a partner in the Nashville office of Ford &Harrison LLP whose practice encompasses a wide range of employment law matters for employers, including wage and hour matters, employment discrimination, and wrongful termination litigation, arbitrations, employment agreements and unfair competition.
He has successfully defended clients against claims of age, race, disability and gender discrimination, sexual harassment, "whistle-blower" retaliation, and wrongful discharge claims under state and federal law, and he regularly advises and represents clients in connection with trade secret and competition issues.
Need Additional Investigations Training
Try our Internal Investigations Certificate Program. This intensive, three-day program is designed to provide you with a thorough grounding in internal investigations - and to arm you with the knowledge of how to properly conduct internal investigations to minimize legal liability and reduce employee complaints.
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.