Working in HR today requires managing the challenges of paid time off plans. While some PTO plans work well and employees are happy and satisfied with how the plan works, others can be expensive and even cause negative or cultural issues when some employees “call in sick” – even when others know they aren’t really sick and have to work harder to cover for a co-worker who is absent.
Unfortunately, unscheduled absenteeism is costing employers a bundle: on average 2.8 million work days each year due to unplanned absences - at a cost of more than $74 billion a year
Regardless of an employee's need to take time off from work, supervisors and managers are left with "holes" in work schedules. And, over time the frustration builds when it becomes more difficult to accomplish organizational goals with so many unscheduled absences. This not only creates friction and resentment, but it can easily lead to interference and retaliation claims under the FMLA.
In this informative audio conference, we’ll explore the pros and cons of traditional paid time off plans vs. the more contemporary PTO bank type of plan. We’ll also take a practical and comprehensive look at how a properly designed, implemented, and communicated PTO bank can be a win-win proposition for both you and your employees.
By the end of this session, you will be able to:
About Your Speaker
- Recognize the fundamental differences between a Traditional Plan and a Paid Time Off bank to take a more strategic approach ing making an organizational change
- Learn the critical factors to consider when creating or changing a PTO policy - and how it can positively or negatively affect your organizational culture
- Structure a PTO policy in conjunction with federal employment laws such as FMLA, OSHA, ADA, and the FLSA
- Discover how to handle carryovers and cash out options - especially in states that require payment on unused vacation and personal time at termination (such as California and Illinois)
- Assess, design, communicate, and implement a cost-effective PTO plan for your company
Natalie Ivey is President and CEO of Results Performance Consulting, Inc., a firm specializing in leadership and employee development training and continuing education programs for the HR profession.
Ms. Ivey is an author and a national public speaker with more than two decades of leadership and HR management experience with Fortune 500 organizations. She is a member of the Society for Human Resource Management and holds the Senior Professional in Human Resources certification (SPHR). Ms. Ivey is a nationally-known speaker on a variety of topics within the HR profession and is known for her "tell-it-like-it-is", direct approach to teaching HR education.
Ms. Ivey routinely works with individuals, small businesses, and larger corporations to address destructive leadership behaviors and organizational dysfunction. She designs customized training programs to help employers correct poor behaviors, minimize legal exposure, and improve performance and profitability.PHR / SPHR Credits
This program has been approved for 1.5 re-certification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or re-certification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org. The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program; it means that this program has met HRCI’s criteria to be pre-approved for re-certification credit.