Excel Explained: Building Error-Proof Spreadsheets
In this comprehensive session, Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, shares a variety of tricks and techniques you can use to improve the accuracy of your Excel spreadsheets. To help you create spreadsheets that are free of errors, David demonstrates how to implement Excel features and functions, such as the Hide and Protect feature, the Conditional Formatting feature, the VLOOUP function, the SUBTOTAL function, and others. In addition, he discusses how to preserve key formulas, perform dual lookups, create self-updating report titles, and more.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in Excel 2016. He draws your attention to any differences in Excel 2013, 2010, or 2007 during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.Covered Topics:
- Using Conditional Formatting to identify unlocked cells into which data can be entered.
- Preserving key formulas using hide and protect features.
- Discovering techniques that automatically provide fallback positions in the event you need to see an earlier version of your spreadsheet.
- Summing disparate sections of a spreadsheet quickly with the SUBTOTAL function.
- Learning a simple design technique that greatly improves the integrity of Excel’s SUM function.
- Toggling the Locked status of a worksheet cell on or off by way of a custom shortcut.
- Limiting access to sensitive workbooks by way of password protection
- Performing dual lookups, which allow you to look across columns and down rows to cross-reference the data you need.
- Switching between Custom Views by way of a hidden drop-down list you can enable on Excel’s Quick Access Toolbar.
- Using the TEXT function to create report titles that update themselves.
- Improving the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function.
- Seeing how to view two worksheets from within the same workbook at the same time.
Who Should Attend
- Apply techniques and features that will improve the integrity of your Excel spreadsheets.
- State how to hide and unhide multiple worksheets with a single command in Excel.
- Apply Conditional Formatting to identify unlocked cells into which data can be entered.
Practitioners who wish to learn how to create error-free Excel spreadsheets.The Presenter
David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David’s mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you,” so he focuses on what he sees users don’t, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively. To learn more about David, you can view his LinkedIn profile and follow him on Facebook or Twitter (@excelwriter).