Employers & Immigration 2018: I-9s, E-Verify, Audits, Visas & How To Prepare For The New Changes
President Trump's plan to build the wall and beef up deportations is coupled with another immigration strategy … to use U.S. employers as a "virtual wall" against undocumented workers. What does that mean for you?
Employers will face several new immigration law changes this year: stepped-up worksite I-9 audits and raids, restrictions to guest-worker visas, increased fines and enforcement levels, possible mandatory use of E-Verify and more. Plus, employers are still trying to figure out the new "Smart I-9" form they must complete for each new hire.
Join your peers for an in-depth look at how to stay in compliance with all these important immigration changes. Your trainer will be a true insider, attorney Kevin Lashus, a former assistant chief counsel at the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
This timely briefing will include training on:
- More worksite audits, raids and penalties
- I-9 audits on the rise – what's next, and how should you prepare?
- Franchisor liability – what we learned from the 7-11 allegations
- Increased risk for immigration raids under Trump
- Increased fine matrix takes effect (fine levels are up by 96%)
- New rules on document bias and employment visas
- OSC issues new regulations on discrimination in I-9 document requests
- What documents you can request – and when
- Increased investigations and other Trump administration changes
- New changes to employment-based visa rules kick in & more to come
- E-Verify: Current and future compliance
- Who must use the online system?
- Is mandatory E-Verify coming? If so, to whom and when?
- Section 3 revalidation addition
- Best practices to stay in compliance
- The new 'Smart' I-9 form
- What's new on the form and why you should care
- Top tips to complete, retain and reverify on this revised form
- How the Smart I-9 interacts with E-Verify
- Effects of the new EB and entrepreneur regulations
- How to use the new I-9 handbook
Plus, you'll have the opportunity to ask Kevin your specific question about these timely issues.
Remember, your only defense against serious monetary penalties and criminal arrests is strict compliance with all of these confusing (and constantly changing) immigration rules. Learn all the new developments and how to stay in compliance … and out of court.