The following provides course information, as well as pricing, author, and educational credit information for the course you selected.
||Independent contractors may be a necessary and strategic component to your business. If so, you need to know the rules regarding what makes a worker an independent contractor versus an employee - or risk substantial fines and penalties.
Employment tax agencies, the IRS, Workers Compensation, and state labor codes are all concerned with whether or not a worker has been misclassified, so the IRS and many states have disclosed that this is now an area of focus during their audits.
In fact, you hear on the news almost daily about one company or another being fined for exactly this reason. So act now to help ensure it is not your company "making news"!
During this training session, you will learn how to properly use and pay independent contractors - and assist in avoiding costly worker-classification audits. Specifically:
About Your Speaker
- What the IRS and states consider a bona fide independent contractor
- How to use contracts to solidify your relationship – and how they can both help and hurt
- How to set up a screening system that can be used by your hiring managers and human resource personnel to insure that they are following the IRS rules
- What the auditing agencies are focusing on
- How to determine the scope and potential areas of focus for your audit
- How to identify any areas of concern prior to an external audit or an audit by another group within your company
- Common areas where mistakes or issues can normally be found
- How a review can help you detect internal control issues
- Where to go to for assistance so you’re not re-creating the wheel
- Devising a game plan on what you want to review and how to divide and conquer
Mark Schwartz has over 15 years experience in state and federal payroll tax audits, collections, and payroll consulting.
As an auditor, Mark prided himself on his ability to educate his auditees on state and federal payroll tax requirements. Whatever issues he found in audits, he ensured the auditee knew how to comply in the future. He worked to minimize company disruptions in the audit process.
In addition to his real-life experiences, Mark has a Masters in Business Administration, and currently uses his entertaining and helpful personality to help organizations prepare for payroll tax audits - whether they've already got the notice or are still hoping they don't!
PHR / SPHR Credits!
This program has been approved for 1.5 recertification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org. The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCIs criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:
||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||The Industry Calendar creates and sells audio conferences, webcasts, seminars, and other training courses for busy business professionals.
We've done the work of listing the important, don't-miss events in one convenient location so you can quickly and easily view and register for upcoming events. Simply click on a course title or search by specific industry to get started!
||Contact Us For More Information