Management Fundamentals For Your Transition From Co-Worker To Supervisor
Congratulations! Getting promoted (especially to a supervisory role) is exciting . . . and scary. A promotion to leadership, supervision or management brings unexpected challenges and changes.
Maybe you don't really know what is expected of you.
Maybe you got promoted over your friends or peers, and aren′t sure how to make those relationships work.
Maybe you got the job . . . and others you know wanted it (badly).
We know – The reality is leadership is complex to start with, and when you add all of these concerns on top of it, it can be overwhelming.
According to careerbuilder.com more than 60% of new leaders don't get any training at all. And even if your organization does provide some training, it often comes too late and lacks a focus on leadership skills that can help you become effective in communicating with, collaborating with, and coaching your team.
And the sad truth is that 40% of new managers fail within the first 18 months of promoting them. Why? Because they don′t get the training they need to:
- Deal with people
- Manage other people′s work
- Mediate conflict
- Be good at project management
- Juggle deadlines
- Hire and fire
- Deal with HR issues
- Communicate goals and expectations clearly (leaving everyone floundering)
In other words, they get promoted because they were good at their job—good at the "doing" - not because they can actually manage people or projects and report to the higher-ups.
Now, there′s a place where first-time managers and supervisors can learn the kinds of things it usually takes managers years to learn. At Bud to Boss, you can get this quality, focused, practical supervisor training in only 2 days.
Bud to Boss is a powerful, interactive, 2-day workshop, where you can get the professional foundation you need and learn how to:
- Influence, work, and negotiate with people—not just boss them around
- Mediate and negotiate
- Get rid of your fear of conflict by learning ways to address it and neutralize it
- Engage, lead and develop a team
- Manage your time and juggle an ever-changing list of priorities
- Improve communication to be more powerful, persuasive and memorable
- Overcome resistance and accelerate organizational change
- Delegate effectively to increase productivity and motivation
- Implement an effective coaching model that maximizes your team's performance
Bud to Boss goes beyond the nuts and bolts of your job. You already know that stuff, or else you wouldn′t have gotten the promotion. The skills that win the promotion - usually expert technical know-how, a good work ethic, and a good attitude - won′t prepare you for all the unexpected challenges managers face.
If you haven′t managed people, dealt with heavy time management issues, administered company policy or had to deal with upper management directly before, then you have been left completely unprepared to succeed.
The good news is that while management skills may not always come naturally, they can - and must - be developed. And that′s what Bud to Boss is all about.
But will one workshop really cut it?
We understand that one workshop isn′t your single ticket to management excellence and we don′t expect you to go back after two days and get it all right, all of the time.
Bottom line-as great as the workshop is, like any training, when you return to work, you will have additional questions, and you might encounter a challenge in applying all you learned.
That′s why, with Bud to Boss, your registration INCLUDES three live, group coaching sessions! These three sessions give you direct and personal access to Steve Johnston – one of the certified Bud to Boss Trainers (he may be the facilitator of your workshop), for one full hour per session, after you return from the workshop, to help you master the strategies and techniques you learn in the workshop.
With group coaching, you′ll have access to:
- Answers to your most pressing questions
- Advice on your stickiest situations
- Advice on implementing your ideas and plans more successfully
- An opportunity to share successes
- Confirmation that what you are planning to try will work
- Valuable learning opportunities from the questions &challenges of others in the group
Don′t risk your career by stumbling along, making rookie mistakes and learning by trial and error. Get the essential management techniques and strategies you need to succeed.
Register today to become the leader you know you can be.
8:30 am……Opening and Introduction
- Logistics, introductions and opening exercise
9:00 am……Setting the Stage
- A supervisor′s definition of leadership
- 13 keys to leadership success
10:15 am……Succeeding in Your Supervisor Role
- How to transition from Buddy to Boss
- The 7 components of the Supervisor role
- The control/empowerment balance
- The power of expectations
12:15 pm…… Lunch
1:45 pm……Communication Skills for Successful Supervisors
- How to effectively communicate with different people
- 6 ways to make your communication more powerful, persuasive and memorable
- 5 ways to listen better at work tomorrow (and everyday)
- 5 keys to winning presentations
3:30 pm…… Break
3:45 pm……Coaching and Feedback for Real Results
- 3 sources of feedback
- 4 types of feedback
- 10 ways to give better feedback
- 5 ways to make performance review less painful and more effective
- 10 ways to be more supportive
- How to use a practical coaching model as a supervisor
8:30 am……Reviewing Day 1 and Setting up Day 2
- Includes warm up exercise
8:45 am……Leading and Championing Change
- The four levers of change – what they are and how to use them
- The critical differences between managing, leading and championing change
- Why resistance doesn′t have to be a bad thing
- 3 ways to overcome resistance
- 5 ways to accelerate organizational change
10:45 am……Leading Teams to Higher Performance
- How to use the 4 stages of team development
- How to manage conflict on your team
- The 4 major elements of team performance
- 7 keys to better meetings
- The role of a team leader
1:45 pm……Leading Teams to Higher Performance (con′t)
2:45 pm ……Setting and Getting Goals (For Yourself and Others)
- 5 keys to a successful goal setting mindset (and why it is important)
- 8 steps to setting achievable goals
- How to engage others In team goal setting
- 5 ways to improve goal achievement success
3:45 pm……Setting and Getting Goals (con′t)
4:45 pm……Answering Your Pressing Questions
- We don′t want you to leave with any other nagging questions answered – so here is your chance!
5:00 pm……Action Planning
- You will leave with more than ideas, but a real plan to implement back at work!
Don′t wait; register today!